Sunday, May 11, 2008

Feeling Kinda Blue, a Frustrated Kinda Blue.

My computer crapped out at my work station today. Again. For the second time in as many months. !!@#&%!! I hope the hard-drive isn't shelled like last time. Of course, it waited until I had everything reloaded, tweaked and fine-tuned and just got back to normal before it decided to give me the finger.

Repeat. !!@#&%!!


Called in tech-support, who basically looked at it and said -- Yup, it's broke. Same guy told me Friday he upgraded the OS on the machine, to which I cringed. Kinda like pulling the pin on a live grenade. Too many programs, bound to throw a rod on one of them. Course he got to go home while I worked and listened to it tick down. Swears that has nothing to do with the current meltdown. Which is fine. Don't get me wrong, I like our systems guy. To whit:

See, it chimed, he says while rebooting for the umpteenth time.
That's a good thing, right? I say.
Absolutely, he says.
You mean it'll work, I say.
Well, probably not. No, not really, he says.

See. Affable sort. So no, I don't blame him for what happened but on the same stroke the machine is still broke, and he's the tech guy -- fix it. But, weekend and all -- so there it will set like a really expensive paperweight until Monday, and then probably back to the shop for another "new" hard drive.

Threepeat: !!@#&%!!


Limped through tonight OK on the back-up. Flakey machine. Send a page. Program Crash. Send a page. Program Crash. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Gonna be a long weekend.

*sigh*

2 comments:

Asinine Army said...

It's OK. Your place of employment has a long history of supplying their employees with exactly what they need to do their job. Things should be fine very soon.

:)

W.B. Kelso said...

Got it back today, good as new.

Color me shocked.